An outstanding opportunity is available for a new Golf Course Superintendent (GCS) with exceptional agronomic and leadership skills. Candidates should have a passion for the game of golf, classic golf course architecture and a history of providing unmatched golf experiences for club members.
CLUB & COURSE OVERVIEW
A once in a lifetime opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Clyde and Kevin Nettles, the father and son team who have expertly managed the Dallas Athletic Club 36-hole golf facility for over 60 years!
Dallas Athletic Club (DAC) has a long history for more than a century. Beginning the century as a downtown athletic club and expanding our footprint in 1954 to add golf to our holdings, our original 350 acres was designed by Ralph Plummer. The number of creeks and natural waterways on the land was an important factor in the decision to purchase the current property and continues to serve us well today in our irrigation plans.
The excellence of the courses was soon known to the golf world in 1963, when we hosted the PGA Championship where Jack Nicklaus earned his second major title. Approximately thirty years after the golf courses were originally designed, the Club committed to rebuild the courses with Jack Nicklaus redesigning both courses in 1986. The Golden Bear designation on the courses continues to today, where we continue to work on our course designs and updates. Both the Blue and Gold courses at the DAC consistently rank in the top 50 courses to play in Texas.
In addition to world-class golf, the Club’s driving range, teaching facilities and short-game facilities are top-notch having been redesigned in 2018-19. The Club also boasts ten tennis courts, swimming pool, dining and banquet facilities, and children’s building.
Our goal is to provide a premier country club experience for our 1400+ members and we do that through excellent management and team members in all departments at the Club.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- 36 Holes
- Architect: Ralph Plummer, 1954; Restoration/Rebuild: Jack Nicklaus Golf Course Design, 1985
- Rounds Played: 55,000
- Cart Rounds: 30,000
- Greens Committee Meetings: 8-10 times per year
- Green Turf Type: Bent Grass
- Fairways & Roughs: 419 Bermuda
- Course Maintenance total staff: 45
- Operating Budget: $3,000,000
WEB SITE: www.dallasathleticclub.org
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT POSITION OVERVIEW
The Golf Course Superintendent reports to the General Manager, Brent Burkhart. The GCS is expected to provide quality leadership and lead his/her department to ensure superb golf course conditioning daily. The GCS is responsible for all day-to-day operations of golf course and grounds.
The GCS must be an excellent, direct communicator and have a natural style of “sincere engagement” with members and staff. He/she will possess a passion for the game of golf, premier playing conditions and have strong agronomic knowledge and know how. Continuing education, professional development, future turf leader development, strong peer group relations and staying at the forefront of research and technology are necessary for success.
- Assistant Superintendent
- Mechanic/Shop Manager
The ideal candidate will be a Superintendent with a minimum of five to fifteen years’ experience at a championship private golf course known for consistent, excellent conditioning.
- Possess exceptional agronomy skills
- Successful experience in similar climates
- Proven history of providing exceptional golfing conditions
- Strong observational skills, with the ability to see the “Big Picture” while remaining detail oriented
- Subscribes to sustainable maintenance practices
- Solid irrigation management philosophy & practices
- Strong agronomic skills-stays current with advances in turf technology and equipment
- Experience controlling/managing bentgrass greens
- Experience with tree management
- Golfer/student of the game, focused on providing ideal playing conditions and a passion for the game of golf
- Passion for historic golf course architecture; experience maintaining & preserving classic courses
- Strong relationship builder with a history of excellent relations with their Golf Professionals and General Manager
- Confident, take-charge leader, both with Team and Committee
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Personable, builds member rapport easily
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong budget management and forecasting (zero-based) skills
- Strong character, confident, humble personality type
- Proactive, high energy, collaborative leader, a team builder
- A history of developing a positive employee work culture
- A history of mentoring team members and advancing their careers
- Strong leader who inspires loyalty & respect among team
- Spanish speaking skills a plus
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
A degree in turf management or related field of study; GCSAA Certification is preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package along with the typical senior staff benefits.
INTERESTED IN APPLYING?
Prepare a thoughtful letter of interest and alignment with the above noted expectations and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why Dallas Athletic Club and the greater Dallas area will be beneficial to both you and the Club if selected. Please email your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.