Assists golf course Superintendent in overseeing the job functions responsible for golf course and landscaped area maintenance. May assist in training and supervising of staff, resolving human resources issues, and implementing agronomic maintenance and development programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists Superintendent in all facets of daily operation
• Acts as Superintendent on duty in the absence of the Superintendent
• Maintains the appearance and safety of the course by diagnosing and reporting agronomic issues; managing irrigation system adjustments and scheduling; maintaining a wide variety of turf grasses in extreme climatic conditions; managing course preparations for tournament and daily play; operating various hand and power tools as needed to accomplish mowing, edging or cultivation as needed; integrating environmental programs specializing in IPM (Integrated Pest Management); overseeing maintenance of the golf cart fleet; assisting in the coordination, scheduling and supervising capital improvement projects
• Manages maintenance operations (employees involved in maintaining greens, fairways, tees, sand traps, bodies of water, roughs, maintenance shop, golf carts and clubhouse) by assisting in recruiting, selecting, training, scheduling, evaluating, supervising and correcting when necessary; assists Superintendent in executing safety meetings
• Assists with administrative functions by maintaining maintenance records and developing required maintenance reports; tracking maintenance expenses including payroll, supplies, fertilizer, chemicals, etc; and informing Superintendent of parts, supplies or equipment needed
• Performs manual labor as needed
• Ensures a clean and orderly maintenance compound at all times
• Implements and support all American Golf initiatives and programs as requested by management
• Other duties may be assigned by management.
Minimum Qualifications and Skill Requirements
• 2- year college degree in Agronomy, Turf Management or related field preferred and 2 years of related equivalent experience in golf course maintenance required
• Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and management
• Ability to communicate effectively with Spanish speaking co-workers may be required in some locations
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Good time management, organization and prioritization skills
• Member of the Golf Course Superintendent’s Association preferred Job Description 40040 Assistant Superintendent Page 2 of 2 American Golf Corporation™
• Relevant licenses for regulatory agencies (Certified pesticide License required)
• Ability to operate all equipment used for golf course maintenance
• Valid driver’s license
Requirements and Working Conditions
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
▪ While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand, walk, read, hear, talk, balance, climb, use hands, use fingers, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, smell, push or pull. The employee may be required to move or lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required for this position include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
▪ While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work both indoors and outdoors and may be exposed to extreme weather conditions including wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, sharp objects, extreme heat and/or open flame. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This information is designed to present the key duties and requirements necessary to achieve the job’s results. It is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add, or delete the functions of this position at any time.